The Wedding Singer

Nov 11, 2010

A ‘Child of The 80s’ I’m not. Sure, I was born in the late 80s but I grew up in the 90s and my childhood revolved around Polly Pocket, Lamb Chops Play Along and the Spice Girls. My only ‘real’ connection to the 80s (other than year I was born – ’87) is my love for Say Anything, Tears For Fears and vintage Chanel. Over the years I have grown to love the eighties and everything that goes with it! So I jumped at the chance to style 9 WORKS THEATRICAL’s musical comedy, The Wedding Singer. Based on the 1998 New Line Cinema film of the same name starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore.  In the stage version, Gian Magdangal plays wedding singer Robbie Hart and Iya Villania plays the role of the waitress, Julia Sullivan.

Set in 80s New Jersey, it’s like a taking a ride on Marty McFly’s DeLorean to a time when everything was exaggerated, including ridiculously poofy hair, gaudy prints and oversized shoulders. Styling for a play like this, took a lot of trips to ukay ukays and vintage shops with help from fashion students, Esme Palaganas and Mara Bautista. Putting together outfits for this involved a lot of alterations, mixing and matching and some creativity. I was constantly surrounded by pastel colored dresses, tapered trousers and oversized blazers. My brain wasconstantly filled with visions of Sixteen Candles, Miami Vice and Madonna. Though I didn't prepare the costumes for every scene, what I loved best about styling for the Wedding Singer was that in the spirit of the 80s, everyone involved was full of passion, fun and excitement.

So do me a favor and catch the last few shows of The Wedding Singer this weekend!!!

Showtime: Friday, Saturday and Sunday shows at 8 p.m. 
with Saturday matinees at 3:30 p.m. and Sunday matinees at 4 p.m.

For further details, you may call 586.71.05, 557.58.60, 0917.554.5560, 
or visit www.9workstheatrical.com or call Ticketworld at 891.9999.

2 comments:

momma said... Best Blogger Tips

congrats!!!

stylefrontier said... Best Blogger Tips

congratulations!
and i really love your previous post